I just wanted to say thank you for making us the coolest cakes ever! We loved them, and there weren't many slices left at the end of the evening. Every flavor was delicious; most people tried two or three. Louis and I proudly sampled all of them. They truly looked and tasted perfect. I can't wait for another excuse to order one of your cakes. A happy customer, "
Wild Orchid Baking Company is a custom cake boutique located on the coast of
NH, serving NH, ME, MA & beyond. Beautiful & delicious works of cake art are
Available by appointment only. We do not carry daily retail items.
- What flavors do you offer?
- Cake & butter cream flavors are the same for cakes & cupcakes. Don't see what you're looking for? Just ask! We are coming up with new flavor combinations all the time, and are able to accommodate most flavor requests.
Cake: *Vanilla Chiffon, *White Chocolate, *Tropical Carrot, *Pumpkin Spice, *Toffee, *Almond, *Coconut, *Gingerbread, *Blueberry Lemon, *Black Velvet, *Marble, *Ginger, *Banana, *Italian Espresso, *Lemon, *Bourbon Pecan, *Devil’s Food, *Red Velvet, *Chai, *Orange Clove, *Chocolate Guinness, *Graham Cracker, *Red Velvet Marble, *Autumn Spice Cake, *StrawberryA layered cake slice.
Butter Cream: *Vanilla, *Chocolate Mint, *Ginger, *Dulce de Leche, *Toffee, *Almond, *Lemon, *Key Lime, *Brown Sugar, *Mocha, *Black Licorice, *Sangria, *Pina Colada, *Chocolate Malted, *Chocolate, *Cinnamon, *Raspberry/Strawberry, *Wild Flower Honey, *Peanut Butter, *Espresso, *Coconut, *Cookies & Cream, *Chocolate Hazelnut, *Caramel, *Raspberry Lemonade *Cranberry Cabernet, *Passion Fruit, *Pistachio, *Mojito, *Maple, *Lavender Honey, *Mixed Berry, *Lemon Sherry, *Baileys, *Chocolate Caramel, *Salted Caramel, *Pink Champagne, *Champagne, *Blackberry Cabernet, *Hazelnut, *Butterscotch, *Mexican Chocolate
Other Fillings: *Vanilla Pastry Cream, *Raspberry Jam, *Chocolate Ganache, *Key Lime Curd, *Marshmallow, *Lemon Curd, *Cream Cheese Frosting, *Chocolate Mousse*, *Cheesecake
- How do I order a cake?
- Email: email@example.com or use our form.
Or make an appointment to come in during our consultation hours:
Fri-Sun: Based on availability
Designing cakes is something that I take very seriously. It is important to me that the cake is an original piece of artwork that reﬂects the occasion as well as the recipient's taste. When designing a cake I like to keep in mind the recipients favorite colors, patterns or activities. If there is a theme for the occasion, that can be a great source of inspiration as well.
- How much do your cakes cost?
Because of the custom nature of our cakes, we do not have a set price list. Each cake's price is determined by size & complexity of design. Sculptural or shaped cakes are typically more per serving than traditionally shaped cakes with an applied design.
Single and 2 tier cakes typically range $3-5 per serving, based on size and design. Wedding cakes & cakes 3 tiers and higher, start at $5 per serving and also range based on size & design. Sculptural cakes start at $7 per serving.
- Cake payment information.
- Orders totalling under $250 must be paid in full at the time the order is placed. Orders over $250 require a $100 deposit, with the balance due at cake pick up. Orders placed over the phone will require a credit card number to hold the order.
Wedding cakes require a 20% non-refundable deposit in order to book your cake & secure your date. We only take a limited number of bookings per date and do not consider your wedding booked until we receive the deposit.
- How far ahead should I order my cake?
- This is a tough question to answer, but really as soon as you can! To ensure superior quality, and because of physical space constraints, I limit the number of cakes we take per week. For a basic cake a week's notice is preferred, with no less than 48 hours notice required. For more complex or sculptural cakes 4-6 weeks is preferred. For wedding cakes I suggest booking your tasting 6-8 months out and booking the cake no later than 3-6 months before your date. We absolutely do our best to take every cake order we possibly can, but dates will close based on number & complexity of orders placed.
- Do you offer tastings?
- Tastings & design consultations are reserved for weddings and large events only. For weddings requiring less than 100 servings, there is a $25 tasting fee that will be discounted from the cost of your cake should you book with us.
For smaller events we offer 2 levels of “to-go” tasting kits. Please allow for 48 hours notice when ordering a tasting kit.
- 4 piece kit (2 cake + 2 frosting flavors) for $10
- 12 piece kit (6 cake + 6 frosting flavors) for $25
We kindly ask that in-house tastings are kept to 4 people or less. At the end of the tasting you're welcome to take home any part of it that you think a curious taster at home might be interested in. Check out "the process" page of our site for more details on the tasting & design process. Tastings are arranged Tuesday through Sunday. Weekends tend to book quickly. Please call 1-2 weeks ahead to schedule your tasting.
- Do you do wedding cakes without fondant?
- Yes, however, I cannot make most of the cakes that you see on my website without fondant. Fondant is a useful tool that transforms a tasty butter cream cake into a piece of art. The fondant merely covers the exterior of the cake, helping to preserve the moist, delicious cake on the inside. It does not add flavor to the cake, but more so serves as a decorative outer layer.
It is important to know that not all fondant is created equal! Just like every baker makes a different cake, fondants differ from shop to shop as well. The type I use does not have an unpleasant taste, become thick, chewy or gritty. It is a lot like a thin layer of rolled marshmallow. I'm very partial to our fondant, but don't just take my word for it....
"Our cake was great...The cake was moist and delicious. Our little sugar flowers were beautiful. Erin gave us good advice to go with fondant - we got married in late August so I was hoping to have a mild night - well it was hot, and thank goodness we got the fondant otherwise we would not have had any frosting on the cake when we cut it! And the fondant was not hard or chewy or anything like the bad fondant I have had in the past." - Meghan
"Our cake was almost as good looking as it was delicious! People are even raving about the fondant's taste!" - Luke & Jenn
- Do you do birthday cakes without fondant?
- For the every-day occasion we offer our signature butter cream rosette cake. Just like our custom cakes, they are 4 layers of your choice cake flavor, and 3 layers of your choice of filling. The cakes are finished with beautiful rosette swirls, tiny green leaves & a sugar disk with your inscription.
Signature Butter Cream Rosette
- 6" serves 6-8 $28
- 8" serves 10-12 $36
- Can you make a cake I've seen somewhere else?
- I can absolutely make something similar, but will fine tune the design so it is original and uniquely yours.
- Do you deliver?
- We offer delivery for weddings & larger cake orders only. Delivery on cakes over $250 is complimentary within a 15 min radius of the shop. Delivery beyond that area is charged based on milage. Set up fees may apply for cupcake orders or multiple cake orders. If picking up your cake, the bakery is not responsible for the cake once it leaves the shop.
- Do you only use sugar flowers? Will you work with my florist?
- Many people enjoy the look of fresh flowers on their cakes, but are concerned with the chemicals and pesticides commercial flower growers use. Sugar flowers are a safe & beautiful choice for your cake. Each sugar flower is artistically created by hand, petal by petal, here in our shop. As an added benefit, sugar flowers will not wilt. They can be preserved for years to come as a display under glass or in a simple box keeping the flowers dust and moisture free.
If you decide on fresh flowers we do prefer to work with your florist. This allows for consistency of design, color & quality. Discuss the details with your florist directly and we will be in touch with them as well, as we do ask to apply the flowers to the cake ourselves.
- Cancellation Policy
- Because we are a custom shop and take a limited number of bookings per date, deposits on wedding & large scale cakes are non-refundable. Once your order is placed we bring in the proper materials needed as well as begin the design process. Deposits are also non-transferable. For all other cake orders, orders cancelled at least 72 hours before the event date will be refunded in full. Orders cancelled within 72 hours of event date will not be refunded.
- Do you offer tastings?
- In-house tastings are offered for tiered wedding cakes only. Because of the high volume of requests for wedding cupcake tastings, we have created our cupcake tasting "to-go" kit. You choose your cake and frosting flavors, and take the kit home to taste at your convenience. To-go tastings are complimentary for weddings & events requiring over 10 dozen cupcakes. We offer 2 levels of “to-go” tasting kits. Please allow for 48 hours notice when ordering a tasting kit.
- 4 piece kit (2 cake + 2 frosting flavors) for $10
- 12 piece kit (6 cake + 6 frosting flavors) for $25
Along with the kit is a brochure outlining your cupcake options, including wrapper colors, sprinkles, toppers, the couple's cake & stand rental. To book your cupcake wedding a non-refundable $100 deposit is required. After booking we can arrange a time to meet & discuss all the design details & specifics of your cupcake display.
- How much are your cupcakes?
- Classic Cupcakes
$35 per dozen
$45 for 3 dozen
$30 per 1/2 dozen
- Add a cupcake stack to your order for an additional $8
- Add a giant cupcake to your order for an additional $4.50
- How far ahead do I need to order cupcakes?
- All of our cupcakes are baked from scratch, so we kindly ask for a minimum of 48 hours notice. For larger orders we ask for a week or more notice.
- Can I choose the color of my cupcake frosting?
- We don't use food coloring for any of our cupcakes (except Red Velvet). We naturally flavor our butter creams with berry purees, chocolates, nuts and other fresh ingredients. To customize your cupcakes we can bake them off in any color wrapper you choose and top them with the color sprinkles of your choice. Custom toppers, like monogrammed discs or sculpted sugar toppers can be made to match any theme. Hand made toppers start at .75 each and are priced according to design.
- How long do cupcakes last? How should they be stored?
- We bake our cupcakes fresh and recommend enjoying them on the same day purchased. We keep the cupcakes cold to keep them fresh, but they are best enjoyed at room temperature. If you're going to keep your cupcakes over night, we recommend wrapping them tightly and keeping them in the fridge.
- Do you have cupcake stands?
- We have large cupcake stands that we rent out for weddings or other large events. Please call ahead for pricing & availability.
- What are your hours?
- We are not a retail shop and do not carry daily retail items. Our cakes are unique creations, designed by appointment. Please call or email to get the process started, not all designs will require an in-person meeting. We have open studio hours when you can stop by for more info, or to place an order, Monday-Friday from 10am-2pm. All other times available by appointment.
- Can you make a donation?
- We strongly believe in supporting the community around us, and make every effort to support as many local causes as possible. However, we are a small shop and there is a limit to the amount of donations we are able to make. We kindly ask for all donation requests in writing with at least a month's notice.
- Do you make allergen free cakes or cupcakes?
- At this time we are able to make dairy free, egg free or gluten free cakes & cupcakes to order. However, since we do use ﬂour, dairy & eggs in our kitchen on a regular basis, we do not recommend our products for those with severe allergies or sensitivities. There is an additional charge for allergen free cakes & cupcakes due to the cost of ingredients involved.
We are not a nut free bakery and cannot guarantee the safety of our products for those suffering from nut allergies.
Vegan cakes & cupcakes are also available by order.
- Where did the name Wild Orchid come from?
- While I was searching for the perfect name for my cake business, I came across a Mayan legend about the origin of the vanilla bean. At Wild Orchid Baking Co. vanilla is an inspiration for flavor, orchids an inspiration for design and the story an inspiration of love...
The Legend of the Wild Orchid
"In an early Mexican city famous for it's artists and sculptors, a powerful god and goddess were blessed with a daughter so incredibly beautiful that they could not bear the thought of giving her away in marriage to a mere mortal. Her name was Morning Star.
It was during her trips from the forest, carrying flowers for the temple, that a young mortal prince first caught sight of Morning Star and immediately fell under her spell. Each morning, before Morning Star went into the forest in search of flowers for the goddesses, the young prince would hide in the undergrowth and await the arrival of Morning Star.
One morning, the young prince was so overcome with desire that he decided to make known his love for Morning Star and flee with her to the sierra. As she passed closed by, he leaped from the bushes, professed his love, then taking her by the arm, ran with her, deep into the rain forest. Morning Star was startled by the young prince's abrupt arrival, but she too came under the spell of their star-crossed destiny.
Just as they reached the first mountains they were discovered by the gods and struck down on the spot, because of their forbidden love.
Not long after, on that exact site, a bush sprang forth. An emerald green vine sprouted from the earth, it's tendrils intertwining much like the young lover's embrace. The tendrils were fragile, the leaves full and sensual. One morning delicate yellow-green orchids appeared all over the vine. From the orchids slender vanilla beans developed and over time they released a perfume more splendid than the finest incense offered to the goddess.
It was then that the gods and goddesses realized that the young prince and Morning Star were transformed into the delicate orchid and fragrant vanilla bean.
The orchid and vine were designated as a sacred gift, a divine offering to the world."